Employee records Management
Confusion frequently occurs concerning the legal requirements for employer records keeping and the retention of employee files and other employment-related records. Often this confusion is the result of the complexity and variety of record keeping requirements:
- Employer record-keeping obligations arise under many federal and state laws.
- Some requirements apply to most employers; others apply to government contractors and subcontractors.
- Some requirements depend on number of employees and the purposes of record keeping.
- Some requirements depend on the industry, the location, and/or the customers,.
- The same or similar records are often required by more than one law, but the periods of retention may vary.